Sunday 21 April 2013

Showcase Sunday #15



Inspired by Celine from Nyx Book Reviews, I've decided to combine several weekly wrap-up memes into one post. Showcase Sunday is hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits and Tea. Stacking the Shelves is hosted at Tynga's Reviews, and Sunday Post is hosted at Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer. Letterbox Love is a special British book-haul meme hosted by Lindsey at Narratively Speaking.


Last Week:

It's my blogoversary week! One year old! To celebrate, I'm doing posts about me and my favourite things, so stop by between today and Thursday for some guests, reviews and more. :-)

Of course, I'm also doing a BLOGOVERSARY GIVEAWAY! (open INT) You can win your choice from a selection of fantastic books, so make sure you check it out and enter here. (Good Luck!)


Last Week's Posts:

Blogoversary - One Year Old! (Post and GIVEAWAY)

Book Review - The Book of the Sith, by Daniel Wallace

Find Out More About Me

WWRead-a-thon Sign Up and Updates


New Goodies:

Okay, it's quite a big haul this week... but in my defence, it is my blogoversary!



Couldn't resist these!

The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss
The Lions of Al-Rassan, by Guy Gavriel Kay
A Sudden Wild Magic, by Diana Wynne Jones (ex-library book -
I've been pretty lucky with these recently!)
Earth to Hell, by Kylie Chan
Emperor: The Gates of Rome, by Conn Iggulden

  And for review: 

Entanglement, by Douglas Thompson (thank you
to the author for the review copy!)

ARC E-book: 


Scarred Canvas, by RC Edrington (poetry collection)
Thank you to the author for the review copy!



Three amazing looking books won from Ellie at Curiosity Killed the Bookworm,
in her blogoversary competition. Thanks so much Ellie! :-)
The Mad Scientist's Daughter, by Cassandra Rose Clarke
Pantomime, by Laura Lam

Audiobook:


Feersum Endjinn, by Iain M. Banks
And, finally, my first ever audio book (downloaded as part of a free trial of audible.co.uk).
This is the Fantasy Faction sci-fi book club read for June, but I have so much to read that I thought it might be a good idea to get a head-start!
I've never tried an audio book before but am really enjoying this one so far.


Other Stuff:

It's also My Shelf Confessions' blogoversary this month (two years old!), so be sure to check out their special month's worth of posts, interviews and more, plus some great giveaways AND a read-a-thon. Wow!


Hope you've all had a lovely week! What have you been reading? :-)


 

43 comments:

  1. Oh, happy blogaversary!!
    You have quite a few books there. I haven't read of those, but I'm a little scared of sci-fi and high fantasy, and tend to go running unless someone can assure me I can cope (wimp, I know). Hope you enjoy them all.

    Julie @ Bookaroo-Ju

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xD I do love my sci-fi and fantasy! I think you would be fine with Diana Wynne Jones, if you've never tried her books. She writes mainly for children and her books are just so gorgeous and magical, and not as deep or high fantasy as other writers. She's one of those writers who non-genre fans love as much as the genre fans do.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I've never heard of her. Thanks for the rec. :D

      Delete
  2. Yes I think ours had Pat Rothfuss. I wanted to buy it but already have it! And did you find The Lions of Al-Rassan in The Works?! So jealous! Ours had Ysabel and another, but Lions is the one I most want to read.

    I'll have to do a little 'incoming' post when I get home to my phone's usb cable :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I pretty much dived at it when I saw it, and the people behind the counter looked at me like 'oh, it's HER again'. Was a really good week for fantasy books at The Works actually. I very nearly walked out with 6 books, but restrained myself. :-) Looking forward to seeing your loot!

      Delete
  3. Happy blogoversary :) Really happy for you :)

    Great haul :) hope you enjoy your reading :)

    Megan xxxx

    My Showcase Sunday if you'd like a look

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for all the books. Sorry I couldn't change the order btw. I would have needed to have spoken to a person and by the time customer service was open, they had been sent! I should stick with using Amazon, but I like to try and support Waterstones when I can :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellie, oh no problem at all! It was very kind of you to try! :-) I was in Waterstones earlier and asked if it was ok to swap it and they said that would be fine, so might do that. I know what you mean - I tend to use Amazon more as I can't afford to go to Waterstones for every book, and I always have a look in The Works when I'm in town, but I do like to get books from Waterstones when I can, as it's one of my favourite places and I desperately don't want them to go out of business. Their Buy One Get One Half Price offers have been amazing lately too! :-)

      Hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for deleting didn't think you'd care to read a Goodreads status update. Here's what I meant to paste My Weekly Wrap Up

      Besides Pantomime and The Mad Scientist's Daughter I haven't heard of any of these. Will have to check them out :) Happy Blogoversary btw. It's my first time here, but I know how special it is!

      Delete
    2. Hehe no probs! :-) Aww, thanks so much Kristin, it's amazing to think that it's been a year actually, as it doesn't seem that long. Last year just flew by!

      Delete
  6. I have The Name of the Wind as well, looking forward to starting it.

    Happy reading!
    My books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so much about it - pretty excited to start it! :-)

      Delete
  7. All your books look great! Especially The madman's daughter & Pantomime :D

    Happy reading.
    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great haul you got this week. Congrats on your one year! :) Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Blogoversary! Pantomime was getting a lot of buzz recently. I hope you enjoy your books!

    SP & STS
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it seems like everyone adored that one! Looking forward to reading it. :-) Thanks Sandy!

      Delete
  10. Happy Blogoversary! Enjoy your new books!

    Here's my book haul: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/04/sundays-weekly-book-recap-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. You got so many interesting books. Your taste is certainly ecletic this week.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, it is a bit isn't it? :-) Nice to have lots of different kinds of books!

      Delete
  12. Oh congrats on your first birthday!! :D It's exciting. :)

    Hope you have a great week and enjoy all your new reads.

    If you'd like to stop by, I posted a Sunday Post as well...
    http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/2013/04/sunday-post-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Blogaversary!!! One year is a great accomplishment! Enjoy your books and thanks for stopping by today. Can't wait to read your fun posts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Blogaversary!

    You got lots of books, enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Blogoversary!!!

    To be honest, I hadn't heard of most of these so I guess it look like I have more books to add to my reading list. I hope you enjoy them all!


    My Showcase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, my to read list always gets longer on Sundays... :-D Thanks Tiffany!

      Delete
  16. The Mad Scientist's Daughter is definitely on my wishlist and Pantomime looks very promising too. Overall it seems like you had a great week! Congrats on the blogoversary and enjoy the books. (:

    Sandra @ When Books Attack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They both look so good don't they? Really looking forward to reading them. :-)

      Delete
  17. Victoria I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on Pantomine by Lam. Happy 1st Birthday to your blog too :D

    My STS

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy blogoversary!!

    The Mad Scientist's Daughter is one of my favorites! :D

    Here's Mine @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :-D Ooh, really looking forward to reading it, keep hearing great things!

      Delete
  19. I know I'm super late with this but... HAPPY BLOGOVERSARY!!!! *runs around in circles, throwing confetti* Here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete