Thursday 13 December 2012

The Magnificently Magic Readathon Has Begun!


The Magnificently Magic Readathon, hosted by Faye over at A Daydreamer’s Thoughts, begins today! The goal? Read books about magic, books that contain magic, or books that feel magical in some way.

I’m pretty excited about this readathon and my chosen pile of books. I’m hoping to get through at least two of these (Got work to do on Thurs and Fri, so won’t be reading all day!), and hopefully a good way into the third. And I’ve added one more as a bonus book, just in case!

Howl’s Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones – this is one of my all-time favourite books, and one that I just have to come back to each year. It’s a quick, easy read for me, and it’s just the definition of a magical book (as well as actually being about witches, wizards and all manner of magic). Diana Wynne Jones simply had to be on this list, and this is my favourite of her books.

I Shall Wear Midnight, by Terry Pratchett – I love the books about young witch Tiffany Aching, but I’ve never got around to reading this one. This is my chance!

The Ambassador’s Mission, by Trudi Canavan – I really enjoyed Trudi Canavan’s ‘Black Magician’ trilogy, so I’m excited to read this one. Trudi Canavan is another writer who seems to have been born to write stories about magic.

Incarceron, by Catherine Fisher – I actually got this book for free in a goodie bag at a convention. It sounds amazing, and has also been recommended by a friend.

Updates

 

Day One:
 Howl's Moving Castle - finished
I Shall Wear Midnight - started

Day Two:
Quite a busy day today, so not as much reading time. Also managed to fall asleep on the sofa in the evening with my book over my face. Whoops!
I Shall Wear Midnight - halfway through

Day Three:
Was very busy, so didn't get much reading done, and unfortunately couldn't make the twitter chat as I had plans to go see The Hobbit! Nevermind, will catch up tomorrow hopefully!
I Shall Wear Midnight - about 65% through

Day Four:
I Shall Wear Midnight - finished
The Ambassador's Mission -a few chapters in


9 comments:

  1. Incarceron is a book that I have been wanting to read. Best of luck with your goals. New follower, looking forward to your updates during the read-a-thon and in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, amazing list! I actually thought about re-reading Howl's Moving Castle, too, because yeah, it's so magical :D

    And wow, you have both Trudi Canavan & Terry Pratchett, too.

    Incarceron was pretty good, too, so I hope you'll enjoy it, as well as the rest of the books & you'll read them all :)

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :-) And good luck with both your reading piles too! Really looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some exciting books up there! I have to admit I've never read Howl's Moving Castle... *runs to hide*
    But I hope you enjoy your re-read!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome list! I really need to read Howl's Moving Castle. My niece is addicted to the anime movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I love the anime! The book is better, of course, but that's always the case :-) You guys should really read it, it's such a lovely story. But you can probably tell how loved it is from the picture above - it's so re-read the cover is almost coming off!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read Howl's Moving Castle! I hope you enjoy all books. Good luck :)

    My Goals
    Lauren @ Northern Plunder

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! :-) Best of luck with yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have heard Howl's moving castle as an audiobook. All your books look great. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete