Sunday 18 August 2013

Showcase Sunday #30


Inspired by Celine from Nyx Book Reviews, I've decided to combine several weekly wrap-up memes into one post. Showcase Sunday is hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits and Tea. Stacking the Shelves is hosted at Tynga's Reviews, and Sunday Post is hosted at Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer. Letterbox Love is a special British book-haul meme hosted by Lindsey at Narratively Speaking.


Last Few Weeks:

I'm back!

I've taken a bit of a blogging break recently as I've been super busy. There's been moving house stuff, new furniture to build, an extremely busy period with freelance work, the Robin Hood festival, and more. I might not have been writing as many posts, but I haven't really slowed down on acquiring books, so this is going to be a giant Showcase Sunday!

I also have some fantastic writing news. One of my short stories has been accepted for the Sword and Laser anthology, and I'm so thrilled and excited about it! Sword and Laser is a fun sci-fi and fantasy book club podcast that I listen to, and they're in the process of putting together their first short story collection. Can't wait to read all the other stories that made it in too! :-)


New Posts:

Book Review - The Universe Versus Alex Woods, by Gavin Extence

The Robin Hood Festival! (including stunt fighting, me trying archery, and my husband striking a heroic pose in a green hat)

Top Ten Standalone Fantasy Books


New Goodies:

Okay, there are a lot. But remember, this is three weeks' worth!


Library Books:
in a Ship of Her Own Making, by Catherynne Valente
(Fantasy Faction book club read, already finished -
I loved it!)
The Lives of Tao, by Wesley Chu
(Fantasy Faction sci-fi book club read)
The Fade, by Chris Wooding
Charity Shop Finds:
Voices, by Ursula le Guin
Anna Dressed in Blood, by Kendare Blake
Book Shop:
The Iron Queen, by Julie Kagawa
The Iron Knight, by Julie Kagawa
(I really need to finish this series!)


Library:
Research books about Nottingham's past
and an old ordnance survey map of the city,
for the novel I'm currently writing.
The Light Between Oceans, by M. L. Stedman
(for the Richard and Judy Book Club Challenge)


Ebooks:
Delirium, by Lauren Oliver
(Kindle Daily Deal!)

Games:


From the Steam Summer Sale
(I forgot to include these last time):
Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
Half Life 2
Orcs Must Die 2
 From the Humble Bundle:
 Dead Space
Burnout Paradise
Crysis 2
Mirror's Edge
Dead Space 3
Medal of Honor
Battlefield 3
The Sims 3
(Bought this pack for a few of the games specifically,
but actually they all look good!) 


Phew, that's it! How have you been and what have you been up to? Hope everyone's had a great week! :-)

8 comments:

  1. Do I spy a bit of The Works shopping in there? Noticed the Shambling Guide on their website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome haul and your research sounds like fun. Building furniture..you have been busy! Enjoy and I hope you find time to read for pleasure this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to have you back. :) Hope you are all rested up and ready to go. :) Looks like some amazing new reads. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! I'm looking forward to diving back in! :-)

      Delete
  4. You may have had a bit of a break, but looks like you are going to be back in the swing of things soon enough! Nice haul! I really love the Iron Fey series.... Julie is just awesome!

    Here's My Weekly Wrap-Up!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is isn't she? I love the Blood of Eden books and I'm loving the Iron Fey series so far too. I need to get a move on and finish them. :-)

      Delete