Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, with a different topic set each week. This week the top ten topic is:
Ten Books I HAD to Buy... But Are Still Sitting On My Shelf Unread
Oh dear... there are rather a lot of these. Considerably more than ten, anyway. So here are the ones that I'm most looking forward to reading and absolutely WILL read, just as soon as I have time. Most of them are charity shop finds or books given to me by my dad, or bargains that I had to snap up before they were gone!
1) The City and the City, by China Miéville. Yep, still haven't read this one yet, despite so many people raving about it. It's been sat there for a while too, oops!
2) The Islanders, by Christopher Priest. This book looks so good, and I have heard fantastic things about it, but still haven't managed to get around to reading it. Soon! Soonish. This year, at least, I'm sure.
3) Swords and Deviltry (and the rest of the 'Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser' series), by Fritz Leiber. These are actually my dad's old copies. He gave them to me when he was downsizing bookshelves. These are classics of fantasy, and many say that this series is one of the best offerings of the Sword and Sorcery subgenre. They're also hugely influential. I definitely have to read these at some point!
4) The Iron Daughter, by Julie Kagawa. I bought this straight after finishing The Iron King, but I haven't had a chance to revisit this world yet. Hopefully this month, since it is fey month on the paranormal challenge.
5) Cloud Atlas, by David Mitchell. This book is supposed to be amazing, and the trailers for the film look really good too. I'm determined to read it before seeing the movie.
6) Midwinterblood, by Marcus Sedgwick. I was really intrigued by this one when I saw it in a second hand shop, and just had to get it. Looking forward to seeing what it's like!
7) Stone, by Adam Roberts. I actually have a couple of Adam Roberts' books sitting there waiting to be read, but this is the one that looks the best.
8) The Gunslinger (Dark Tower 1), by Stephen King. Another one given to me by my dad when he was clearing shelf space. I still haven't read this series, and really need to.
9) Nation, by Terry Pratchett. I love the Discworld series and his other series, but haven't had a chance to read this standalone yet. I have heard it's very good though.
10) Storm Front (Dresden Files 1), by Jim Butcher. A friend lent this one to me with a 'YOU MUST READ THIS' recommendation, and it's been sitting on my shelf for far too long now! I will definitely make time for this one soon.
Honourable mentions to Crewel, Beautiful Creatures, Pushing the Limits, Fatherland, and The Windup Girl. More that are inching their way along the 'To Read' shelf! ;-)
What about you? Do you have any books that were an absolute must buy, but that are still sitting unread on your shelves?